Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Visit to the Doctor

It never fails. I always have people ask, "So you don't take them to the doctor by yourself?," or "You have someone go to the grocery store with you (like it is absurd)?" It never fails...I want to smack them EVERY. SINGLE. TIME....

I TOTALLY get it. I am not the only mother, who has three children. I am not even the only mother, who has three, young children. I may not be the mother of the year or anything, but I REALLY can't wrap my head around how I could possibly take these three kiddos to the doctor or public places by myself. Here's why....

We recently went for all three well visits. I try to schedule them on the same day in order for me to not take more than one day off of work. It helps with my not missing work, but, boy, it is pure chaos. Anyway, I asked my sitter to ride and help out. Although, I had much of everything ready the night before, we were still walking out the door a good fifteen minutes later than I had planned...AND...we left beds unmade and breakfast still on the table. Yes, two people getting the three ready and we were still pushing it for time. Then, as we walked out the door, we realized that we had not brushed teeth. So, as I grab a Pepsi and a donut (breakfast of champions) for myself, I snatch up the toothbrushes for the ride. Faith and Cameron LOVE to brush their teeth with their new electric toothbrushes...in fact, they did so for the entire ride....no kidding....Faith still had hers when we arrived in Athens.  Anyway, if loading the kids up is not a chore....unloading and taking them into a public place, specifically the doctor, would definitely qualify...here is a list of events as we pull into the parking lot....

1. I gather all bags and other items needed (which includes my purse, diaper bag, and blankets). This fills one arm.
2. I climb to the rear where I unbuckle Faith and Cameron. They are handed off to Granny B.
3. I climb out and to the other side of the car to get Mallory. Therefore, bags are on one arm and Mallory on the other.
4. We are finally ready to head in.

Okay, let me stop here. So, if I were by myself, where would anyone suggest that I put Faith and Cameron? Surely, not walking by my side in a busy parking lot???!!! Maybe you would suggest a stroller? Well, has anyone pushed a double stroller while holding another? Maybe you would suggest a triple stroller. Would anyone like to purchase that $700 item for me?...and, anyway, how many mothers have you seen enter the pediatrician's office with a stroller???!!! I have never seen a single one. Let's continue.

5. Faith and Cameron immediately know where they are and they don't want any part of it. By this time, Granny B can no longer hold both, I am trying to sign in, and Cameron is trying to climb my leg. The nurses smile like, "Oh my God...here they are again!"
6. The nurse puts us in the "largest room since we have five people."

Okay, so you know that it's bad when the nurse says, "Okay, so I don't know how you want to do this (meaning the undressing and weighing part)." We decided to take one out at a time.....

7. We each take a baby and undress, and I then take them one-by-one up and down the hall to be weighed and measured, while Granny B watches the others.

Again, how am I supposed to this by myself???!!!

8.  While we wait an eternity, Cameron is trying to climb a tree that is painted on the wall, Faith is ripping pages out of books, and Mallory continues to reach and cry for my cell phone (which I give to her and she drops twice, sending the battery sailing across the floor).
8. We have the exams and the shots. Poor babies sit and watch in terror while the other gets poked and prodded just to have it be their turn next. That's right, we have all three screaming by time to go.
9....and then its time to get dressed AGAIN....with all three trying to climb your legs or into your lap because they are highly upset.
10. Pay and leave as quickly as you can!

Ah, I am certain that no one can truly see how it goes until they witness it, but I will assure you that it is madness. I dread, dread, dread the trips, and I usually come back very much like I would if I ran a marathon...almost dead. So, yes....when people raise their eyebrows when I say that I don't or can't take them by my lonesome, I want to smack them...honestly...VERY HARD. Just an FYI...so that you don't do it.

Good news, though:

All three are perfectly healthy and right on track. Cam weighed in at 27 pounds, Faith 24.5, and Mallory 22. Mallory is tall for her age, as she is in the 95th percentile for height.

No comments:

Post a Comment